Icy Doom Hates My Tree

Icy Doom Hates My Tree
Originally uploaded by MikeOliveri.

This is the small fir tree near our front porch. It sprang back after an icy rain last year, and hopefully it will again.

The power went out about an hour ago, and there’s no ETA on restoration. I went on a brief photo expedition and will have more pics to share, including an example of why the power lines don’t fare so well in this stuff.

The roads aren’t bad, though, so once we figure out how widespread the outage is we can go get some chow and check out some more of Mother Nature’s ice performances. If it looks like it will be a while for power, we can also take a run to pick up my father-in-law’s old generator.

I laugh in Icy Doom’s face!

1. Harv says:

It’s so cool that it’s easer to stay connected with the world than it is to have electricity.

Crazy, isn’t it? My wife asked me if I was going to go nuts without Internet. I told her “Not as long as my Crackberry has a charge!”

3. Drew says:

Wow. Did you guys get power back? How long was it out? Everything back to normal yet? (And while we’re at it, how long did the Crackberry’s battery last? :) )

The storm that hit you guys yesterday just blew in now and it’s snowing outside. Once again, Old Man Winter messes up my plans to work on the house.

We were out from 8:30a to 3:30p Friday. The Crackberry did fine, fortunately. We’ve got car chargers which we were going to top off with on our way home from Peoria, but we got the call that power was back on so didn’t worry about it.

We lost power again Saturday evening for several hours. Looks like some lines went down locally, as it was just our block. The power company was on top of it. Now it’s just a matter of waiting out the cold and waiting for the ice to melt…

5. Brady says:

Mike,

We lost power for nine days back in September when the FL hurricane winds made it up to OH. Lost our roof and all that jazz. I have a mini-generator and we fired it up here and there to keep beer cold in the fridge and make coffee in the morning. Funny thing was, for seven of those nine days, all the folks across the road had power. Funny to them, anyhow.

Brady

Yikes! Luckily we haven’t run into that. Those hurricanes and such brought us some flooding, but the last time anyone around here had power outages that long was a year or so ago and farther south in IL.

The utility’s responsiveness has been much better this time around. I think they learned their lesson after that last one because the government climbed up their asses and threatened all kinds of legal action and investigations. It was also during the time the regulation of utility bills ended and prices went sky-high, which definitely didn’t help matters.

7. Brady says:

Yeah, I’d have to say that Dayton Power & Light actually did okay, even with us down 9 days. Counties all around here were down, and we, in particular, live in an area known for its old oak trees–there are _a lot_ of trees around here–so there were trees on lines and houses all over the place. They brought in utility companies from out of state to help.

I hope it clears up for you soon there. I’m a winter lover, though. I’ve enjoyed the photos of your property’s suffering! It’s 2 degrees here right now. I’ve been up since 3:30 a.m. The wife and kids are all under quilts and sawing logs, and I’ve already been outside.

Brady