The original goal was to have an artist on board for my graphic novel last month, and to have made some announcements by the end of April. However, we’ve been juggling samples and waiting for a few more, and the videographer had a few other projects on deadline before he could get to ours. Disappointing, but certainly not the end of the world.
Meanwhile, a certain television show aired two episodes which mirrored portions of the graphic novel. The first was iffy, and we probably could have worked around it. The second, though, tackled another big part of the plot. Between the two, I’m not sure there’s any way we could have moved forward with the graphic novel as written and not be accused of borrowing from the television show (at best) or outright plagiarizing it (at worst). It’s not so much the television studio and their producers I fear but the ire of the reviewers and readers. Either way, it’s not conducive to the launch of a product.
This is probably the first time delays worked in my favor. If an artist had started work on pages from the graphic novel as is, or if we had to re-cut the video to remove some references to it, we’d have lost a time and money. I still face a time crunch to rewrite the script, but at least we don’t have to backpedal on our announcements or have an artist scrap pages already drawn.
I’m just glad my publisher watches this television show, because I gave up on it a while ago.
Lucky for me I’m a creative guy (he says, as he huffs on his nails and polishes them on his shirt). I’m revisiting some of my notes for the graphic novel, which included several ideas for the storyline before I settled on this one. I think there’s still some good stuff in here, and I can still salvage parts of the script rather than having to start from scratch, but it’s going to be a busy day.