The Big Guy Under the Fat Guy

Running is for little people.

That’s not to say I’m giving up on running, as I intend to get back out there at least a little bit when my hip muscles are done trying to tear themselves apart. I just mean that someone my size is just not built for running and I’m not sure I’d ever be good at it.

It took an injury to make me realize that. I did some upper body work, then looked in the mirror before a shower and I could see the potential hidden beneath the layer of pudge. A lot of my muscle is still there, and I’m confident my strength is, too, thanks to my karate workouts. More and more I realize I could probably bring that muscle out pretty quick if I start a weight lifting regimen.

So, this evening I dragged the old comics boxes out of my office to store elsewhere, cleared space, got rid of some old, crummy filing cabinets, and ordered the weight bench I’d been eyeballing on Amazon. It should be here by Monday. In the meantime I will head out to find a 6′ Olympic barbell, because a full seven-footer won’t fit in the space I have.

What better gym than my own office? I get my best thinking and brainstorming done after a good workout, and any excuse to spend more time in my office is a good one. As long as I don’t let it turn into an expensive coatrack or bookshelf, I’ll be golden.

I don’t expect it to be a problem. I will be adding judo to my karate soon and will need both the strength and the muscular endurance. But that’s a story for another blog post.

1. Noah L says:

Sounds like a good plan, Mike! I’m honestly horrible at running, myself, and I’m not built like you are. Glad to hear you’ll be adding Judo to your training–it’s great stuff, and then you’ll have a base for the next time I come and visit (I’ll either put on a Shorin-Ryu seminar or a grappling seminar, as long as I’m allowed to do so, and Vince seems to think I should do a grappling seminar)

I’ve been meaning to hit Judo class for a while, and will definitely do so this spring or summer. Right now my hip needs to finish healing up, and my next immediate goal is my sai patch. I’ve got my goshindo kata all checked off, but I’d love to also have at least a yellow belt in Judo before going up for black belt.

3. Eric says:

get on a bike instead of running. :)

I thought about it, but that’s still an investment in money, doesn’t jive with my schedule, and excludes several months of the year. And sure, I could man up and ride in rain and snow, but I’d just as soon roll out of bed and push metal in the air while streaming some metal on Pandora.

• Eric says:

ride your bike to work instead of driving. the money invested in a bike will be saved from all the gasoline you aren’t buying. plus it kills 2 birds with one stone….commuting and exercising all into one.

also it gets you a monetary bonus… http://www.bikeleague.org/news/100708faq.php

Actually, I walk when I can. It’s only a block. The only time I drive is when I have to head out to our other campus six miles away. (And that’s usually in a hurry, so they won’t have time for me to ride a bike out there.)

4. Ben Miller says:

I hear ya brother. I’m not built for it either but did a tremendous amount when I was in the Marines and was surprisingly good at it (being 15 years younger than I am now was also a plus). I attempted to get back into running last spring and am still paying for it. I started the couch to 5K program and made it about 75% the way through before tearing a ligament in my knee. After the repair, I found that it never did heal and I now I have a tear in both knees. Orthopedic surgeon basically told me that my running days are over, which wasn’t terrible news as I hate that exercise, but it does limit what I can do.

I started the Couch-to-5K. A couple times. :) It’s a good program, but running is just a tedious pain in the ass. I think the karate has gotten my legs in shape enough that I shouldn’t have ligament issues (at least, I hope so…), but now I just need to get rid of these other problems.